We Are Open & Providing Legal Services During COVID-19

Underinsured & Uninsured Motorist Attorney

When you have been seriously injured in an auto accident, you expect that the negligent driver will have sufficient insurance to cover your medical care and other losses. In many cases, however, a victim’s losses far surpass the negligent driver’s policy limits. In situations like these, you may be able to seek additional compensation through your own insurance company under your uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) policy.

uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is special coverage that is designed to cover gaps between the negligent drivers’ policy limits and your actual damages from an accident. Under Colorado law, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage must be offered with every auto insurance policy that is issued. In fact, you have to specifically refuse it in writing in order for it to be excluded from your policy. If you did not sign a document stating that you did not want UM/UIM coverage on your policy, it is a virtual certainty that you have it.

No fees up front. I only get paid if you do.

Pursuing a claim with your own insurance company can be a confusing and sometimes anxiety-ridden process. Having an experienced attorney representing you from the outset can be extremely helpful. At The Paul Wilkinson Law Firm, LLC, I offer my clients nearly 20 years of experience in the resolution of complex auto accident claims.

I understand the concerns my clients have about filing a claim for an accident they did not cause and their fears of premium increases or policy cancellation. Policyholders have specific protections under the law against these types of retaliatory behaviors. You can rely on me to be there with you throughout the process, constantly working to see that your interests are protected.

Resident Relative Coverage
If your losses exceed uninsured/underinsured policy limits, Colorado law allows you to file additional claims under the UM/UIM policy of a family member who shares a dwelling with you. Even if you do not own a vehicle and you were injured in a pedestrian or bicycle accident, you can still file a UM/UIM claim under a family member’s policy, provided that you are related by blood or marriage and that you live under the same roof. Resident relative coverage even applies to children who are away at school and temporarily residing away from home.

Hit-and-Run or Phantom Driver Accidents and UM/UIM Claims
If you were injured in an accident and the identity of the negligent driver cannot be identified, your uninsured/underinsured coverage can be used to cover your damages. It can also be used in phantom driver accidents where the driver who caused the accident was not actually involved in it. For example, a driver runs a red light and an accident occurs when cross-traffic stops suddenly to avoid him. His car was not damaged and he was not injured, but he was the cause of the accident, nonetheless.

Contact My Denver Office to Discuss Your Auto Accident
If you have made an inquiry about your UM/UIM coverage and can’t get a straight answer from your insurance company, you don’t have to put up with the runaround. My team will work directly with your insurance company to obtain the compensation you deserve in these matters.