5280 Appellate Group
Nelson Boyle joined the Paul Wilkinson Law Firm in March 2023. He came to us with a wealth of experience fighting for his clients in trial courts and on appeal. Nelson brings a wealth of invaluable experience as an appellate lawyer to the firm.
Nelson Boyle is an expert in appellate law. With over 15 years of experience representing clients on appeal, Nelson can provide legal support at all stages of litigation to ensure you preserve appellate issues, to help at trial, and as a lead attorney or consultant on appeals. Nelson has experience representing clients on appeals in the Colorado Supreme Court, Colorado Court of Appeals, Colorado District Courts (on appeals from county and municipal court), United States Eighth and Tenth Circuit Courts of Appeals, and in the United States Supreme Court (in the certiorari phase). Nelson also assists and consults with trial counsel in civil jury trials—including filing narrowly focused trial briefs, preserving the appellate record, and arguing for fair and accurate jury instructions.
Nelson’s appellate experience includes misdemeanor and felony criminal appeals and civil appeals in cases involving personal injury, insurance bad faith, insurance coverage, premises liability, child sexual abuse, the Colorado Governmental Immunity Act (CGIA), civil rights, special districts, metropolitan districts, medical malpractice, legal malpractice, contract disputes, receiverships, class actions, and more.
Nelson excels in administrative appeals, merits briefs, amicus briefs, interlocutory appeals, oral arguments, and petitions for certiorari. For proven results and a track record of success, Nelson Boyle is your choice for an experienced Denver appellate lawyer.
Nelson earned his law degree in 2007 from the University of Denver Sturm College of Law. Before law school, he studied American history and earned degrees from Temple University (Bachelor of Arts) and New Mexico State University (Master of Arts). Nelson has practiced and fought for his clients in trial courts and on appeal in the Colorado District Courts, Colorado Supreme Court, Colorado Court of Appeals, United States Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals, United States District Court for the District of Colorado, the United States Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Court of Federal Claims, and United States Supreme Court.
Nelson currently serves as Chair Emeritus for the Amicus Curiae Committee of the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association and also on CTLA’s Board and Executive Committee. Nelson also volunteers as the Vice-Chair of the Colorado Bar Association Appellate Subsection’s Continuing Legal Education Committee and the Amicus Committee for the American Association for Justice.
In addition to studying and practicing law, Nelson also loves skiing, hiking, and camping with his family. He and his wife recently went to the Grand Canyon and hiked rim-to-rim and a few days later rim-to-river to stay at Phantom Ranch. They will soon tackle Yosemite’s Half Dome.
Selected Published Opinions
- People v. Perez, 214 P.3d 502 (Colo. App. 2009), rev’d sub nom., 231 P.3d 957 (Colo. 2010)
- Kisselman v. American Family Mut. Ins. Co., 292 P.3d 964 (Colo. App. 2011)
- Averyt v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., 265 P.3d 456 (Colo. 2011) (as amicus curiae counsel)
- Hansen v. American Family Mut. Ins. Co., 2013 COA 173, 383 P.3d 28 (Colo. App. 2013)
- Daniel v. City of Colorado Springs, 2014 CO 34, 327 P.3d 891 (Colo. 2014)
- Landmark Towers Assn. Inc. v. UMB Bank, N.A., 2016 COA 61,436 P.3d 1126 (Colo. App. 2016)
- Romstad v. Colorado Springs, 650 Fed. Appx. 576 (10th Cir. 2016)
- Nibert v. GEICO Cas. Co., 2017 COA 23, 488 P.3d 142 (Colo. App. 2017) (as amicus curiae counsel)
- Walker v. Ford Motor Co., 2017 CO 102, 406 P.3d 845 (Colo. 2017) (as amicus curiae counsel)
- Landmark Towers Assn. Inc. v. UMB Bank, N.A., 2018 COA 100, 436 P.3d 1139 (Colo. App. 2018), cert. denied (Colo. 2019), cert. denied, 140 S.Ct. 566 (2019)
- Forfar v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., 2018 COA 125, 436 P.3d 580 (Colo. App. 2018), cert. denied (Colo. 2019)
- Nanez v. ICAO, 2018 COA 162, 444 P.3d 820 (Colo. App. 2018) (as amicus curiae counsel), cert. denied (Colo. 2019)
- Orr v. United States, 145 Fed. Cl. 140 (Fed. Cl. Aug. 30, 2019)
- Bolt Factory Lofts Owners Ass’n Inc. v. Auto-Owners Ins. Co., 2019 COA 121, 487 P.3d 1105 (Colo. App. 2019)
- Pella Windows & Doors Inc. v. Indus. Claim Appeals Office of Colo., 2020 COA 9, 458 P.3d 128 (Colo., App. 2020)
- Auto-Owners Ins. Co. v. Bolt Factory Lofts Owners Ass’n Inc., 823 Fed. Appx. 686 (10th Cir. 2020)
- Garcia v. Centura Health Corp., 2020 COA 38, 490 P.3d 629 (Colo. App. 2020) (as amicus curiae counsel)
- Auto-Owners Ins. Co. v. Bolt Factory Lofts Owners Ass’n Inc., 2021 CO 32, 487 P.3d 276
- Harvey v. Catholic Health Initiatives, 2021 CO 65, 495 P.3d 935 (Colo. 2021) (as amicus curiae counsel)
- In re Brown v. Long Romero, 2021 CO 67, 495 P.3d 955 (Colo. 2021) (as amicus curiae counsel)
- Doe v. Wellbridge Club Mgt., 2022 COA 137, __ P.3d __ (Colo. App. 2023)
- Air Solutions v. Spivey, 2023 COA 14, __ P.3d __ (Colo. App. 2023)
- Brown v. Banner Health, 2023CA20 (January __, 2023) (Order denying interlocutory appeal)
Selected publications and presentations
Selected Honors And Distinctions
- Marquis Who’s Who in America, 2020
- Marquis Who’s Who in the World, 2018 – 2019
- Outstanding Service to CTLA Award, Colorado Trial Lawyers Association, 2016
- New Trial Lawyer of the Year, Colorado Trial Lawyers Association, 2012
- Award of Merit, Philadelphia Pan American Association, 1997
- American Association for Justice, Member (2008-Present), Board of Governors (2014), New Lawyer Division Executive Committee (2014), Amicus Curiae Committee Member (2011-present)
- Colorado Bar Association, Member and Chair/Vice-Chair of Appellate Subsection CLE Committee (2021-present)
- American Bar Association (2020-Present)
- Judicial Performance Commission for Colorado’s Second Judicial District, Commissioner (2013-2021), Chair (2018-2020)
- Colorado Trial Lawyers Association, Member (2008-Present), Co-Chair of Amicus Curiae Committee (2010-2018), Chair Emeritus of Amicus Curiae Committee (2018-present)
- Denver Bar Association
- Arapahoe County Bar Association
- Phi Alpha Theta, Historical Honor Society (former Chapter President)
- Society of Historians of American Foreign Relations (former member)