Having the chance to explore our beautiful state is one of the best parts about living in Colorado. Taking a drive through the mountains or exploring one of our many exciting cityscapes is the best way to truly appreciate the beauty of our state. However, any moment when you’re behind the wheel, you need to be aware of the risks. Even the safest drivers may be involved in an auto accident due to the reckless driving of other motorists.
In this blog, we’re taking a closer look at the common causes of car accidents in Colorado. To better understand the scope of this issue, we’re also reviewing some of the most important car accident statistics in Colorado. By learning more about the causes and statistics, you can be more aware when behind the wheel and help do your part.
The Paul Wilkinson Law Firm is one of Colorado’s leading car accident law firms. If you were involved in a personal injury accident, such as a truck accident, car accident, motorcycle accident, or pedestrian accident, we’re here to help. Even if you believe you were partially at fault, we’re here to support you. Our professional team of personal injury lawyers will review your case, help you understand your rights, and do everything it takes to ensure you receive justice and fair compensation for your accident.
Table of Contents
COMMON CAUSES OF AUTO ACCIDENTS
Every year, there are hundreds of fatal car crashes in Colorado. While every auto accident is unique, there are some common causes that can help us better understand how car accidents occur. As one of the most experienced Denver car accident law firms, we’ve seen a wide variety of car accidents. Most accidents, however, result from one of the following causes:
- Distracted driving: What do talking on your phone, playing with the radio, eating food, or simply daydreaming all have in common? They’re all forms of distracted driving. Taking your full attention from the road, even for just a few seconds, dramatically increases your chances of getting in an auto accident.
- Impaired driving: Drugs and alcohol impair your ability to safely and effectively operate a vehicle. Even just one or two alcoholic drinks can slow your reflexes, affect your decision-making, and impair your ability to think critically. Across the country, driving under the influence is one of the leading causes of fatal car accidents.
- Intersections: According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), approximately 40 percent of all car accidents occur at intersections. These auto accidents happen primarily when drivers run a red light or miss a stop sign, failing to yield to oncoming traffic. Always be extra cautious when approaching an intersection.
- Reckless and aggressive driving: When you drive with blatant disregard for the safety of others on the road, this counts as reckless driving. When fueled by aggression or anger, you often end up speeding or making poor decisions, which can easily lead to an auto accident. It’s never worth losing your cool when you’re behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.
- Weather conditions: Colorado is known for our mountains and our dramatic shifts in weather. Unsafe road conditions caused by rain, snow, sleet, or hail consistently lead to a high number of car accidents every year. While it’s always wise to avoid unsafe road conditions, sometimes you don’t have a choice. If driving through snow or rain, always go a little slower than normal.
AUTO ACCIDENT STATISTICS IN COLORADO
When you think of the most significant health risks in Colorado, illnesses and diseases like cancer or heart disease probably come to the forefront of your mind. While these health issues remain significant, many people fail to realize that car accidents are consistently one of the leading causes of death in Colorado. In fact, according to the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT), motor vehicle fatalities have continued to rise every year since 2011. In 2017 alone, there were 648 car accident fatalities in Colorado.
To help us all better understand the scope of this public health issue, we’ve assembled some of the most important auto accident statistics for Colorado. Hopefully, these statistics will encourage more drivers to remain focused while behind the wheel and prioritize safety when driving in our state.
- There are over 100,000 Colorado auto accidents annually.
- Speeding is a factor in roughly a third of all car accident fatalities.
- Half of all auto accident fatalities were not wearing seat belts.
- Impaired driving in Colorado comprises roughly 25 percent of all car accident fatalities, with alcohol being the primary factor.
- How many car accidents per day are in Colorado? In 2017, Denver alone had an average of 220 car accidents per day.
- Car accident fatalities have gradually increased in both urban and rural areas throughout Colorado.
WHY YOU NEED A CAR ACCIDENT LAWYER IN COLORADO
If you’re involved in a car accident, you should first seek medical attention. Even if you don’t feel hurt at first, the adrenaline from the accident can mask any initial pain. After you’ve done that, you should make a call to an experienced Colorado car accident attorney. These professionals can help you understand your case, assess your options, and explain how you can get compensation for a car accident in Colorado if your situation warrants it. Even if you believe you’re partially at fault, you may be eligible for some form of compensation according to Colorado accident laws.
Most people think that, following an auto accident, their insurance company will simply take care of everything. In many cases, yes, your insurance company will work with you to ensure you receive the full amount on your claim. However, this isn’t always true.
Insurance companies are still for-profit companies, which means they’re still out there to make money. How do they do this? By paying out on as few claims as possible. In the legal world, this is called bad faith insurance, and you can take your insurance company to court if they fail to honor a valid claim fully. Working with a professional car accident attorney will ensure that the insurance company doesn’t take advantage of you and that you receive full and fair financial compensation for your accident.
CONCLUSION – AUTO ACCIDENT STATISTICS IN COLORADO
While hitting the open road can be relaxing, therapeutic, and just plain fun, it doesn’t come without risks. Auto accidents occur every day in Colorado and cause injuries and significant financial costs for drivers. Certain factors like speeding, unsafe weather conditions, or distracted driving in Colorado can increase the risk of a car accident, but to be frank, an accident can occur at any moment. This is why it is always important to give your full attention to the road when you’re operating a motor vehicle.
If you’re involved in a car accident injury in Colorado, don’t wait to Call Paul. Our team of experienced and passionate personal injury attorneys will meet with you and help you understand your case. Our car accident law firm runs strictly on contingency fees, which means you can rest easy knowing there’s no financial risk. With contingency fees, we only get paid if you do since our fees are based on the success of your case. Simply enough, we’re in this together.